Debbie's Reality

Debbie's Reality - Enjoy the musings and the thoughts of the day. Living happens within each moment.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Comfort Food for Wintry Days

Well, I realize it's been a while since I've written anything.  I guess living an ordinary life and with certain routines in place, doesn't make it so write-able.

But I have been cooking and baking lately on these cold, grey days of winter.

Today is no exception.  Tonight for supper we are having Mulligan Stew followed by Classic Apple Crisp.

The Mulligan Stew is really easy to make.  It consists of coating the stew meat with a mixture of flour, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper in a brown paper bag. Let it braise in some oil in a skillet on the stove. Don't let it burn. Then I added three small onions and 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.

The fun part begins when I added the three cups of water and the bottle of beer.  Just your regular lager of LaBatt's Wildcat that my other half keeps stashed. Let it all simmer on low for at least two hours. You can use whatever beer you have in your house.



Then having peeled and cut up over 2 1/2 lb of potatoes and about 8-9 carrots,and thawed out 10 oz or frozen peas, I added it to the brew. I'm not sure how thawed they were.  I just took them out and let them sit until I needed them. I also added the amount of potatoes and carrots that I wanted in the stew.


I must say that I like the smell of the beer simmering with the meat ingredients.

Once the vegetables are added, I bring it to a boil again and then turn down the heat so it can cook until done.  



It takes about three hours.


Grandma's Mulligan Stew is a recipe I cut out of Woman's World magazine on 17 March 1998.  I make it almost once a year.  It's a wonderful comfort food as we live through these dreary wintry days. I just might make it again for St. Patrick's in March.

Now, the Classic Apple Crumble comes from the book, "Two Cooks in the Kitchen" (1990) by Janet Bell and Janet Lee.  It's on page 84.


It's easy to make and bakes in 30 minutes.


And, sometime this afternoon, after I get all the baking dishes washed, I plan to make tea biscuits for tonight's supper.  They are my Aunt Betty's recipe.  I will share it with you when I get them made.

To top off any day and to begin any day, I always have my cuppa Just Us close at hand.  It's delicious and inviting and smells oh so good.


This is how I have spent my day this day.

Yesterday I made four dozen apple cookies and The Best Dad's cookies.  Delicious! Delicious! Delicious!

I've found the baking and cooking very therapeutic as I stay house bound with a sick six year old. 

How's your week going so far? 

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks and sounds good! I'd like to know your recipe for the Dad's cookies; I've been thinking of baking a batch that is, for me, oatmeal raisin, with a good hit of cinnamon - that is my "Dad's cookies" definition. I have really found that cooking and baking is both hobby and stress reliever for me. Yesterday, Andrew asked for something, we googled it, and proceeded to make chocolate covered popcorn - a combination of the sauce for puffed wheat cake tossed with popcorn and baked in a slow oven for 1/2 hour. That was tasty. You could add peanuts if you had them. Anyway, keep yourself warm and good luck with the housebound stage of the winter.

    ReplyDelete