Debbie's Reality

Debbie's Reality - Enjoy the musings and the thoughts of the day. Living happens within each moment.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Hard Work Makes for Enjoyable Work

It was a cloudy day until 3 p.m.  Now it`s sunny and still windy.  It was great working in my various garden spots this morning.  The temperature was right.


I admit I know very little - really next to nothing - about gardening.  All I know about it is that I love doing it.  I love the physical dance that I must do in order to create something pleasant and beautiful.  There is something rhythmic and in sync when I do my bit for the flowers and plants that bring me so much enjoyment.


Of course the actual growth and subsequent reward is out of my control.  But I sure do love helping it along.


I managed to dig around some of the young plants so that I can put dirt and manure on and top with mulch.  I fixed up a little spot in the back yard next to the house, and discovered a little stem peeping out through the weeds.  It`s all cleared out and fed with the dirt-manure mixture.  I can`t wait to see it in its prime.






I noticed 8 green stems coming up around our sidewalk.  My husband said they are coming up now because the soil had been too cold.  It makes sense to me.  I planted the bulbs this spring and didn`t know if they would sprout.


The burning bush has tripled in size.  It`s taller and healthier than it was last year.  I turned the soil over around it so that I can add my dirt-manure mix along with mulch sometime next week.  I am really pleased with its progress.  


Nothing works out the kinks and stiff limbs as digging in the dirt and lugging it.  


I also managed to plant my little Joe Pye.  I looked in Plants for Atlantic Gardens by Jodi DeLong (pp. 152-153) about Joe Pye.  They can grow from 2 to 7 feet tall.  I hope I do good by it.  I`ll have to check on it.  It`s only a little wee seedling right now.  But I look forward to seeing it grow and grow.


I also transplanted two little beebalm.  They produce beautiful flowers at maturity and can be from 2-5 feet.  I look forward to these two.  I need to be diligent about caring for them and helping them along.


My cone flowers are growing beautifully this spring.  I planted three little bunches and they have doubled in size since last year.  I am so looking forward to their beautiful purple petals and brown middles.  


Lastly, one of my indoor garden challenges is growing aloe vera without killing it.  Right now I have had a piece someone gave for for 8 days and it`s turning brown on the ends and looking a bit shrunk up.  What to do.  I will have to google it and find out what to do to keep it alive and well.


Signing off for now.  Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment