Debbie's Reality

Debbie's Reality - Enjoy the musings and the thoughts of the day. Living happens within each moment.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin People

I just can not wait until another day.  I have to write this.  I have to share this.


I need to let you know how you can make your very own pumpkin people.  It's easy.  It's fun.  I enjoyed myself.


The ingredients are simple: transparent tape, scissors, 6 or 7 corn stalks, old clothes, hay or newspaper for stuffing, and a pumpkin.


I must admit right here that I am sharing my version of how to make a pumpkin person.  It is in fact based on the book "Pumpkin People" by Sandra and Ron Lighburn.  They are from Nova Scotia and live in the Annapolis Valley.


My instructions are for a child pumpkin person. 


You will need more stalks if you make adult pumpkin people.


O.K. here goes:


1. Get your supplies.  But forget the cat though.






2. Line up 2 or 3 corn stalks.  Leave everything intact.  I only take off the corn husks if they're in my way.


3.  Cut them so that the stalks are able to be put through a shirt.  


4.  Tape them together at each end.  Now you have the arms.


5.  Take 2 or 3 more stalks.  Cut the same length as the first ones.


6.  Tape top and bottom again.  Now you have the body.


7.  Take 2 or 3 more stalks and tape them again.  Do this two times because you need two legs.


8.  To make the body, wrap tape tightly around both bundles at one end to create the neck and at the middle to create the waist.


9.  To shape the legs, separate and bend the two bundles of cornstalks below the waist.  Tape around the ankles on each leg.


10.  Now, you're almost home. Attach the arms about 3/4's of the way up one end.  Tape together crisscrossing the tape.


11.  You should have what looks like a skeleton ready to dress.


12.  Be sure to bend the skeleton arms and at the knees before you dress and stuff him or her.


I decided to make a little pumpkin person this year.  There's not so much to stuff.  I like using any of the corn stalk leftovers and then hay.  You can also use newspaper.



The head is of course a pumpkin.  You make a small hole in the bottom of the pumpkin so you can fit it on one of the stakes at the top.

You can paint a face on it using acrylic paints or buy the dollar store face pieces that you can push into the pumpkin.  It reminds me  a lot like potato head pieces except they're scary. (Or supposed to be.)

Since we're getting a lot of rain overnight and tomorrow, I've decided to let my little pumpkin person rest in the garage until she goes to her permanent spot in the front of the yard.  

I am going to have her sitting down and I will probably tie her to the pole with a rope to help her out.

If you want your pumpkin person to stand, then u need to add 1 x 3 strapping.  It should be longer than your skeleton so that you slide one of the legs down the strapping and let it come out at the neck.  You can use a shorter piece for the other leg so it is stabilized on both sides. 


She wasn't stuffed yet with hay.  Her head is right there beside her.  I haven't quite decided how I shall make her face.

Happy October!  Watch out for those pumpkin people.  They come out after dark when everyone is asleep.



I'll be sure to include a completed picture of her when she is all ready for viewing.

October has so many funtastic things within its days.

My October has shaped up real well.  How's your October evolving?








No comments:

Post a Comment